Written by: Sophie Jones
Sophie is Director of Strategic Development at Alpharmaxim Healthcare Communications
Nestled in the leafy suburbs of Manchester is Altrincham, a gem of a town dating back to 1290. Home to Alpharmaxim, experts in compelling stories for speciality healthcare communications, Altrincham is a bustling, cosmopolitan hub, which is why we settled here in 2001.
A revitalised market town
This suburban town was voted first- and second-best place to live in the North West of England by the Sunday Times over the last 2 years;1 it was also named England’s best high street in 2018 in the Great British High Street Awards2 and awarded best market in the Observer Food Monthly best Awards 2015.3
A £6 million regeneration scheme transformed Altrincham’s Grade II listed market building4 into a bustling centre for independent traders. It now offers a plethora of food, drink, fashion, furniture, home furnishings, garden and craft businesses – it’s well worth a visit!
“We crowned this super-suburban market town the best place to live in the northwest last year, in honour of the high street’s transformation from zombie to Mancunian zeitgeist.”1
During the day, the market is filled with local residents and workers socialising over coffee and enjoying office lunches at the 10 permanent, independent food outlets. On market days, the place is transformed into a showcase of the most creative local traders, including fishmongers, butchers, potters, florists, woodworkers and crafters, to mention but a few.
During the evening, there is a variety of different bars and restaurants to suit all tastes and budgets. Additional to the market area are the Goose Green, Kings Court and the Downs areas, where you’re bound to find something to your taste.
Shopping in Altrincham offers a great mix of local independent stores and national chains. Two additional living and social/shopping developments are due for completion in the next 5 years.
Besides the town centre and market, Altrincham boasts some of the best schools in the country, which is why competition is fierce for a place at some!
With its rolling countryside, National Trust parks (e.g. Dunham Massey), nearby sights of interest and proximity to Manchester, Altrincham is hugely popular with commuters and young families alike, with people tending to see it as their ‘forever town’. With Manchester only a short ride away, via the recently revamped Altrincham Interchange, you have everything at your fingertips.
A rural setting with metropolitan links
Nearby towns and villages to explore include Hale, Bowdon, Sale and Timperley, and a little further afield you will find Dunham, Ashley, Knutsford and Lymm, all within 15 minutes’ drive.
“Its close-knit community, great schools and stunning parks makes Altrincham the perfect place for families.”5
So, when thinking about your next move in the North West, Altrincham should be at the top of your list. After all, who wouldn’t want to be surrounded by beautiful parks, delectable food, independent trade and great schools, all within a stone’s throw of Manchester, one of the best cities in the world – in our opinion!
1. The Sunday Times. Altrincham, Cheshire – Best places to live in the UK 2019. The Sunday Times. 2019. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/altrincham-cheshire-best-places-to-live-hlk6qlmtx. Accessed 25 November 2019
2. The Great British High Street. The 2018 winners. 2018. https://thegreatbritishhighstreet.co.uk/high-street-of-the-year-awards/the-winners. Accessed 25 November 2019
3. Fox K. OFM Awards 2015 best market: Altrincham. The Guardian. 2015. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/oct/18/ofm-awards-2015-best-market-altrincham. Accessed 25 November 2019
4. Trafford Council. Listed buildings. Planning and building control. 2008. https://www.trafford.gov.uk/planning/planning-for-householders/docs/register-of-listed-buildings-updated-april-2008.pdf. Accessed 25 November 2019
5. O’Rourke H. Altrincham named the best place to live in north west – knocking Knutsford off top… and Didsbury didn’t even get a mention. Manchester Evening News.
https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/property/altrincham-named-best-place-live-14414391. Accessed 25 November 2019